25 July 2015 Chapter Meeting
Venkat’s word of the day was “Paradigm”. Paradigm can be used as a noun, to mean a typical example or pattern of something, a pattern or model.
During the President’s speech, Raja pointed out that many of us are always searching for what we don’t have, even to the point of obsession. Instead, why not build on what we already have and make the best of it?
The new members, Venkat, Hao Qin, Feng Yi and El Mundo, were inducted into the club. They solemnly promised to keep the Toastmaster’s promises; the club also promised to support them in their Toastmaster’s journey.
1. Tan Hao Qin – P2 Organize Your Speech, titled “Thinking out of the Box“
Hao Qin persuaded us to think out of the box in daily life. Even simple matters can benefit from a little creative and critical thinking. It was entertaining to hear about his outdoor cooking experience, especially when the high tide nearly drowned his dinner!
2. Yani Goh – P9 Persuade with Power, titled “Hiding in Plain Sight“
Yani convinced us of the many hidden sugars in every day foods. Did you know that sugar can cause many health problems, including tooth decay, gout and obesity? Yani also introduced us to an interesting new sugar from Luo Han Guo (Monk’s Fruit) which contains zero calories!
3. Adeline Hseih – P9 Persuade with Power, titled “Are You Convinced“
Adeline brought us her impressive stamp collection which she has amassed over the years. Using that example, she told us how much starting a collection could mean. For her, it has brought joy, a sense of satisfaction and wonderful memories. Are you convinced to start your own collection that you can look upon in the future with pride and joy?
4. Soh Siew Wee – AP1 Warm Up Your Audience from the Humorously Speaking manual, titled “Lazy but Wise”
Siew Wee got us laughing at a family which was so lazy that they left all their housework to the dog! Poor dog. However, being lazy motivates us to think of smarter and more efficient ways. If we were not lazy, we would still be using our legs to get around instead of trains and busses!
Karinna and Siew Wee put together a delicious spread of fried bee hoon, bananas and pizza. Veron even brought wine to pour and share!
1. Karinna Boey, ACB: Tan Hao Qin
2. Ta Susiwati, ACB, ALB: Yani Goh
3. Richard Sng, DTM: Adeline Hsieh
4. Neil Sarno, CC: Soh Siew Wee, ACB
Veron’s table topics were based on objects she brought. They included a leather elephant, a small pocket book and a Vitamin D lip gloss.
Feng Yi’s calm, deadpan humour shone through when he spoke about the lip gloss and how his mother would appreciate it.
Venkat’s maiden language evaluation was encouraging for all of us. He pointed out the hits and misses throughout the meeting. Well done Venkat!
Raja’s maiden general evaluation was sharp and detailed. He managed to spot many areas for improvement that we can learn from. This includes punctuality (we started late by 3mins), typos in the agenda and others.
Best Prepared Speech: Adeline Hsieh
Best Evaluator: Ta Susiwati
Best Table Topic: Low Feng Yi
1. The next meeting shall be on 8th Aug 2015 at the Botanic Gardens, please contact Anil to request for a speaking slot or appointment role!
2. Stay tuned for our Tiarel Club’s Humorous Speech and Speech Evaluation Contest on 22nd August 2015.
Contributed by Ta Susiwati, Club Secretary